Saturday, April 25, 2009

Aboard the "Mighty Mo"


On Thursday night, Mikaela spent the night on the USS Missouri with our homeschool group. She had so much fun! She learned a lot about the history of the ship and WWII. Activities included; historians told them tales, they played games, sunset and sunrise colors, dinner and breakfast, and they were able to see parts of the ship you are not able to see on a regular tour.

She was so nervous before I dropped her off. I kept telling her it was going to be fun. She said to me," Where are we going to sleep?" I said, " In a bed." We have toured the ship before, so she said,"We'll probably sleep in that room with the couches and everything." I had to laugh because the room she was talking about was the Captain's room.

When I picked her up she was just smiling and so excited to tell me all about it. She told me...." It was so dark at night-pitch black. They just shut the lights off and that was it." I giggled and asked her,"What they didn't come in and tell you goodnight and to have sweet dreams?" She laughed.

I am glad she had the opportunity to experience a little piece of history.
For more info on the USS Missouri visit http://www.ussmissouri.com/visitor-information/interesting-facts



Mikaela at the Barber Shop.



Mikaela and her friend locked in the Brig.


This was her rack. They are stacked three bunks high. She said there was only enough room for one, maybe two people to be in the aisle at a time.

Colors

The Missouri secured its place in history as the site of Japan’s unconditional surrender to the Allied Forces on Sept. 2, 1945, ending World War II. The ceremony for the signing of the Formal Instrument of Surrender was conducted by Supreme Allied Commander, General Douglas A. MacArthur. This marker is where the treaty with Japan was signed.









No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails