Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Classroom Pet


I'm using the curriculum Heart of Dakota: Beyond Little Hearts For His Glory with Little Man.
Recently for our read aloud, we read Pagoo by: Holling Clancy Holling as our "non-fiction"genre book.  How interesting this book was for both Little Man & myself.  We just loved following this young hermit crab and learning about what life is like in "Tide-pool Town".
We focused on the character trait of obedience while reading Pagoo.  I have to admit, I wasn't really sure how a hermit crab was going to be an  example of obedience, but surprisingly he was.  He had a friend who was always with him, Old Pal Instinct.  When he obeyed Old Pal, he remained safe in his dangerous underwater world and when he ignored him it almost cost him his life.
 
"Teach me, O Lord, the way of your stautes, and I will observe it to the end.  Give me understanding, that I may keep your law and observe it with my whole heart." Psalm 119:  33-34
 
The book even inspired us to adopt four hermit crabs of our own:  Pagoo, Herman, Luke, and Peeta.
 

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails