Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Old Pali Road Hike

Grandma came to visit us in the begining of March.  We took off the two weeks she was visiting to enjoy our time together. 
One day, we took the kids up to the Old Pali Road for a hike.  On our way there we stopped at Queen Emma's summer palace.  The summer home of Queen Emma is filled with history. She was the last of the Kamehameha line to sit on the Hawaiian throne.  Her son Prince Albert was supposed to be the next king but  died at four years old of  appendicitis.  All of her belongings on display in the museum are original pieces.  I wish I would have brought in my camera.  Inside were some of the most beautiful furnishings I have ever seen.  There is a baby cradle, hand-carved in the shape of a faberge egg-beautiful. 

After we finished in the museum we drove to the Pali Lookout.  It was incredibly windy!  The air temperature dropped 10 degrees when we reached the parking lot. If I would have to guess the wind speed, I'd say it was at least 50-70 mph gust.  We started walking and laughing because the wind was blowing us everywhere.  When mom turned around, she yelled out Silly guys name.  I turned around and he was hanging on to a wall afraid because he couldn't walk against the wind.  We grabbed him and held on to him tight.   

We walked down the old road a little ways where the wind let up and enjoyed our hike.  The great thing about this hike(especially when dad is at work)is, it's paved.  It is an easy trail for strollers or toddlers and great with a pet.  Here are some pictures from our hike.
  
"The wind"
It was so strong we didn't even have to walk.  It pushed us right up the hill. 
Silly guy hanging on for dear life.  He picked up a walking stick on our way back anticipating the wind.  This face isn't an exaggeration. 
You know me....  I can't help myself when it comes to flowers.  We've been on this island for 3 1/2 yrs and I have never spotted this flower before.  I just love surprises! 
 


No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails