Creamy Wild Rice Soup
from: Grandma's kitchen
- 1/2 cup wild rice
- 5 cups chicken broth, divided
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 large carrot, sliced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 medium celery stalks, chopped
- 1/4 pound fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. white pepper
- 1 1/2 cups chopped cooked chicken(I used turkey)
- Rinse wild rice under cold water; drain.
- Combine 2 1/2 cups chicken broth and wild rice. Bring to a boil over med-high heat. Reduce heat to low; simmer, covered, until rice is tender. Drain and set aside.
- Melt butter in 3 qt. saucepan over med heat. Add sliced carrot; cook and stir 3 minutes. Add chopped onion, chopped celery and sliced mushrooms; cook and stir until veges are tender, 3-4 minutes. Remove from heat. Whisk in flour, salt and white pepper until smooth.
- Gradually stir in remaining 2 1/2 cups chicken broth. Bring to a boil over med heat; cook and stir until thick, about 1 min. Stir in chicken(turkey). Reduce heat to low and simmer, uncovered, until soup is heated through, about 3 minutes.
- This is where I placed the soup in the crock pot, on low.
- When ready to serve, spoon 1/4 cup cooked wild rice into each serving bowl. Ladle soup over rice.